Friday, April 2, 2010

Hello Blog

Well, I think for you to understand me, we'll have to go back in time a bit. Here's a blog I wrote a year ago that will help to give you some insight into my life as a military wife.
November is the month of Thanksgiving. December is Christmas and January brings with it a new year. I love the end of the year. Not only does it give me a good reason to wear adorable scarves and comfy sweaters, but I'm also able to put the crud of the old year behind me and start anew. This year has been rough for a number of reasons. I'll share.
Reason #1: The biggest doozie of them all. My husband was injured while serving in Iraq. It's something that was life changing and covers us like a soggy wet blanket. Things are getting better, but the reality of how fragile we are smacked my family in the face this year and it's going to take awhile (who knows how long) to recover. My husband is recovering well physically. Emotionally? We're all still working on that part. Fortunately together.


This picture was taken at Walter Reed March 2008
A year later, Mike is doing fabulous. His recovery has been a miracle, to say the least. He's recovered so well in fact that we're facing another deployment. His unit is scheduled to deploy to Afghanistan in the spring of 2010. He told me the news three weeks ago. We were on our way to community group and he casually mentioned it. My eyes got watery. I kept thinking, "You're being ridiculous. Why are you crying? You've been through this before." Moments later, Mike is pulling over to the side of the road because I was hyperventilating. I suppose the news was a bit more to take than I realized.

I'm usually the 'keep it together' type but the last year I've been proving myself wrong about my personality. I don't keep it together as well. I do need my friends. I do need God. These are all realizations that are hard for a person who likes to be independent to make. These realizations have led me to you, blog. I'm here with a different intent than in the past. My past blogs have been generic with little meaning. Sure, I love writing about my family, but have I been true to my blogs. I blog about fluffy fun stuff. Things that people can't walk away and say, "Man, that girl needs some help." I've rarely been honest to my blog about what's really going on in my life. I'm deciding to do that today.

So, Hello Blog! It's time to get real. I'm going to be real about my life as a military wife. I'm going to be real about my life as a mother. And more importantly, I'm going to be real about my walk with God.

0 comments:

 
Powered by Blogger