Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Decisions

I just began doing a bible study about the women of the bible. First up is, of course, Eve. As I'm reading the scripture, at first I'm thinking, "Good grief, Eve, being created from Adam's rib bone must not have offered you much intelligence." As I continue to read Genesis 3, I begin to realize that it wasn't Eve's lack of intelligence that prompted her to make the fatal decision to eat the fruit; it was her vulnerability that left her heart unguarded to believe the lies of the serpent.

Much like Eve, I'm the type of woman that wants to keep it all together and let everyone know, "I've got this, people!" This is especially true when my husband is deployed. He's gone for 12 months and our household must continue functioning. I have to step into his shoes for a time, which is the perfect opportunity for me to behave just like Eve. It's the perfect opportunity to forget that I need to guard my vulnerable heart while I'm making major decisions for my household.

I'm not saying her motives weren't pure. Her decision was driven by the desire to "eat good" and "gain more wisdom" (Gen. 3:6). She knew the warning God had given but the serpent deceived her. This deception led her to make a decision that ultimately  brought her shame and pain (Gen. 3:7, 16).

So, this leads me to a very important question: How do I guard my heart while my husband is deployed?
1. God's promises in Scripture - Ps. 46:1 "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble"
2. Church Family
3. Support from other military spouses who are sharing the same experiences - The Lantern or the FRG (Family Readiness Group)

These are just a few that quickly came to mind. Are there any other scriptures or people in your life that you turn to when the decisions that you need to make as a military spouse seem to be too much to bear?

0 comments:

 
Powered by Blogger