Friday, May 21, 2010

Well of Hope

Hagar is introduced in Genesis 16 and is intertwined with Sarah's story. Hagar was an Egyptian slave that Sarah used as a surrogate mother to provide Abraham with the child she feared she never would. It didn't really work out like Sarah had hoped (Gen. 16:4-5). Hagar did give birth to a son, but despised Sarah in the process. Hagar was eventually cast out with her son, Abraham's heir, once Sarah had Isaac (Gen. 21:8-14).  Hagar was alone, with her small child, wandering in the wilderness. She ran out of water and had no one to turn to. She placed her child under a shrub because she didn't want to watch him die. She was helpless and afraid. In that moment, she called out to God.

I'm falling in love with these stories. As I read about Hagar and her desperation, it doesn't take long before the Hero steps in at the climax of the story and saves the day. When Hagar is at her weakest moment, God "calls to Hagar out of heaven." (Gen 21:17) He comforts her and provides her with a future promise of making her son a great nation, which gives her hope and the strength to stand up. He opens her eyes to see a well of water. (I could go on all day about the significance of water in the bible, but instead I'll just give you a few scriptures... Isaiah 12:3, 35:6, John 7:38, Luke 16:24.)

The meaning of this well of water is beyond my understanding. I personally have never experienced a physical thirst like the one Hagar and her son were experiencing. I can somewhat relate emotionally and spiritually. As a military wife, there are many days that I walk around in a fuzzy haze of lonliness when my husband is deployed. People care and lend their kind words of encouragement and support. I know that I have several people in my life that I can call when I'm feeling really down, which is more than Hagar had. Honestly though, if I only relied on the people in my life to carry me through the deployment, my expectations would not be met. No matter how much they care for me and my family, they couldn't provide me with the well of hope that I truly need to get me through it.

I love that Hagar's story is recorded to encourage me during my weakest moments. It means so much to know that the women in the Bible meant just as much to God. He revealed Himself to them and made them promises, gave them hope, comforted them and used them to do great things. When Hagar was at her weakest, God gave her strength. He provided her with a well of water. It is a well of hope for me today.

Have there been moments in your life when you were able to see God's well of hope and promises? If so, you're right where you ought to be; leaning on Him for strength.

0 comments:

 
Powered by Blogger