Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Definitely Not a Long Distance Relationship

I had a conversation with a friend the other day. She isn't an army wife but has many army wife friends. I mentioned that Mike might be calling soon. She got excited for me and mentioned that one of her other army wife friends was sometimes unsure what to talk about when her husband would call during a deployment. She said her friend wondered if she should worry him with the daily happenings or keep the conversation light. I never really thought about it until that moment. I usually just ramble on about our day or ask him specific things to help me in making decisions. Sometimes we have a limited amount of time to talk and I don't always tell him everything that happens (mostly because I forget).

Going through a deployment with your soldier is nothing like a long distance relationship. The distance is there, certainly, but the relationship is so much different than your typical long distance relationship. I can't call him anytime I want to tell him something or see how his day is going. I wait by the phone until he is able to make it to a phone to call me. I can't get on a plane or hop in my car to go see him over the weekend. He can't leave either.

This got me thinking about our phone conversations. No matter how brief they may be, it's how we communicate. Do I worry him with details like, "The dryer busted again, the fridge stopped making ice and my car has a flat" all in one day? Usually I tell him these things after I take care of them. I don't want to worry him with unnecessary things. I talk to him about the kids a lot. "Should I send Belle to cheer camp this summer?" "Job wants to learn to play the violin." More importantly, "This will cost money, what are your thoughts?"

Sometimes it just depends on your soldier and what he wants to know. I don't want to cause him to worry. I think he does enough of that without me adding to his anxiety. As a military spouse, when your spouse is deployed, do you choose not to talk about certain issues with your spouse because you fear it would cause more stress? Do you tell him everything? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

1 comments:

Julie Danielle said...

You are so right! I was in 2 long distance relationships before I met my husband and it was different. We could pick up the phone almost anytime we wanted to.

As for what I tell my husband. Well I tend to tell him more details in letters than on the phone. I will tell him if something is really bothering me or if I need his input. But the way my husband is, I know most things will not bother him. I am the worrier between the 2 of us so he can always help me see what I am freaking out over really isn't a huge deal.

 
Powered by Blogger